Wednesday 25 February 2009

This is why we need to fight ID cards

An extract from Henry Porter's blog:-

"I'm a barrister, one of 15% from a state school background, dedicated to public interest work. In that spirit I volunteered for the United Nations mission in Nepal in 2007. There I met my now husband who had worked for the UN in his own country, Sierra Leone, since 2003 and then in Nepal where he will complete his contract.

"I don't think it is criminal of me to choose a partner who has always worked hard and had to fight hard to even find a job in his own country during and after the civil war but that's how the UK Borders Agency makes me feel.

"We are starting a family together," she continues. "Our life together is beset, at times, by overwhelming strains imposed by the UKBA. It would be easier for me to have started a family with somebody either in prison or with a criminal record than with someone who works for the United Nations but is a Sierra Leoneon national."

In order to get an ID card to her husband my correspondent had to travel to Nepal when she was 34 weeks pregnant so that he could fly to Britain for the birth of their child. The cards states "Sierra Leoneon. No recourse to public funds" and gives an expiry date.

She points out that the expiry date means he is unlikely to be able to find work in Britain. (Who wants to give employment to someone who may have their card withdrawn?)

"There is no denying that there is a stigma attached to an ID card," she continues. "Nearly every flight I have shared with my husband into the UK has resulted in him being stopped by some agency and then being allowed to continue when it's established he's with me. We have to inform the Home Office of any change of address that is likely." She tells me that the immigration officials have taken to boarding planes and stopping people so that they have no recourse.

She concludes: "Of course, probably the only solution for most of our strains and anxieties is to settle elsewhere, where we are not treated like second-class citizens or criminals, But why should I? I work hard in my country – I volunteer for public bodies. I fought hard to gain my professional qualifications then a career."

Indeed, why should she? And why should we tolerate this expensive and divisive scheme?

The best way to fight it is to join NO2ID. In the meantime we can look forward to the government's response to the information tribunal's order to publish the a Whitehall audit which is believed to be critical about the affordability of the scheme which the Home Office still claims to cost £4.7bn.


I keep being told "If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear", did this woman's husband have anything to hide? did he commit any crime? yet he is still persecuted and treated like a criminal.

We have to stop this abuse of power and make our government start treating people with respect once more.



READ MORE at:-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/henryporter/2009/feb/23/idcards-civil-liberties

No comments:

Post a Comment