Tuesday 9 June 2009

A British Constitution?

I've been wondering on and off for some time about the idea of a written constitution similar to that of the US.

There have been times when I've thought that our quirky system of common law seems altogether too haphazard and unpredictable, liable to the whim of senior judges. I've thought that perhaps if our 'rights' were enshrined in a written document then we could always hold any future government to account should they attempt to remove those rights.

Today I've been doing a bit of reading over at the Devil's Kitchen and came across an entry debating that same point. (For those of a tender disposition - he does tend to the odd swear word or several).

I'm now pretty convinced that it would be a tall order to put in place a written constitution that preserved our rights rather than restricted them and perhaps our system of common law is the best we can come up with so far ..... go read and think at http://devilskitchen.me.uk/2009/06/british-constitution.html ....... things are never simple are they?

No comments:

Post a Comment