Saturday 23 May 2009

More Big Brother

Some time ago I read about plans to link every available camera up to automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) equipment in order to record our every movement.

Naiively, I thought this would take a long time to achieve as the sheer cost and complexity of the system required to build this network of ANPR surveillance would be prohibitive.

Now I read on the BBC site :-

A national network of cameras and computers automatically logging car number plates will be in place within months, the BBC has learned.

Thousands of Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras are already operating on Britain's roads.

Police forces across England, Wales and Scotland will soon be able to share the information on one central computer.

Officers say it is a useful tool in fighting crime, but critics say the network is secretive and unregulated.

Now I'm starting to get seriously worried, we already have levels of surveillance and monitoring that we have never experienced before and now we face the threat of the majority of our car journeys being recorded and checked in case we break some law or other.

I am not opposed to surveillance as part of an investigation into a crime or suspected crime, I DO object most strongly to routine monitoring and checking to see whether there is any crime they can pin on us - there are now so many laws I cannot honestly hold my hand up and say that I have not broken any laws today, I just don't know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment